Monday, October 10, 2011

Rhymes of History

One technology that rekindles history is the Wii family gaming console. As a child, I distinctly remember playing board and card games with my family well into the evening hours. As I grew older and technology such as movies and computers progressed, that family time seemed to disintegrate. This could be because my family was no longer ‘engaging’ to me…what could a game of Scrabble do that was better than a Saturday night at the video arcade? Now, however, consoles such as the Wii and the Kinect bring back that family time- with the added bonus of a technologically engaging format. This type of technology is geared toward the multigenerational family and could reasonably bridge the gap between the Silent Generation (1925- 1945) and generations Y and Z. A modern child can play an interactive baseball game with Grandma, and rekindle the aura of times past as Grandma tells the child about the female baseball league during WW1. What a great bonding moment!
Why is the Wii So Popular?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Karen,

    I played board games with both my sons. Everything from "Sorry" "Scrabble" to "Chinese Checkers" and I loved the bonding time. You are right that technologies disintegrated the love of the board game. My son now has a 7-year old stepson and they play the Wii golf, baseball, bowling together. I think that the Wii has replaced board games for the most part, but my son is at least bonding with his stepson with the new technology.
    Good post.
    Neena

    ReplyDelete